Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Whatever happened to Chocolate Thunder?


Chocolate Thunder, (not Darryl Dawkins), is one of those comic book heroes that I never really got to know but wanted to. I ran into references to the comic many times a few years back but never actually got to have a copy of the book in my hands. The official website Gettosake.com has no direct reference to this comic at all. In fact, at the time I am writing this, the entire site is down. One of the original writers of this book, Jeremy Love, is doing some amazing work with Bayou but no word of Chocolate Thunder.

What is or was Chocolate Thunder all about? Basically he was sort of a throwback Blacksploitation hero. Here's the blurb: "Believed dead by his former employers, government agent Kevin King returned home to find his old stomping grounds over-run by crime. Unable to stand idly by, he became a costumed vigilante, whom the local graffiti artists dubbed Chocolate Thunder."

Why am I so hyped up about the guy? Well I'm always looking into new and interesting Black Superheroes but my interest piqued when I saw the video. Apparently the guys who put this character together made a flash video a few years back to promote the comic and I loved it. It even inspired me to do some of my own flash work. It was only available on the Gettosake website but with that gone, who knows. I was luck to find it on YouTube. It's called Chocolate Thunder: On My Way.

Wikipedia doesn't even have an entry on this brother but he did make their List of Black Superheroes. The best listing I was able to find, other than the official page, is a reference to him here. I looked to buy the comic on Amazon (Chocolate Thunder on Amazon) but they are either out of print or there are no books in stock for the forseeable future. To be honest I don't know if Chocolate Thunder ever made it to print at all but he will not be forgotten.

Check out the video for yourself before it gets taken down.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The artwork was so good. Don't you hate it when a character this great falls by the wayside? Hopefully, they'll revive Chocolate Thunder soon. I thought I was the only one who missed it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting on this. I check their site every now and then but I never see any updates. It's nice to see that other people are still interested as well. Hopefully we hear something in the near future.

Samax said...

yeah, I met the Love brothers about 9 or ten years ago. They were pushing CT and some of their other properties around Hollywood, and I imagine it got swallowed up in rights purgatory.

they did a couple really good one shot graphic novels and kind of disappeared until Jeremy turned up in the Popgun anthology.then he turned up on Zuda with Bayou. Right now, i know he's doing the art on a new Fraggle Rock mini.

Ritch Hall said...

Man,
I am glad I am not the only person who is wondering that happened to this book. I loved the concept and wanted to see it turn into a series.

jrichard said...

Here's the DB reference to it. Were there really on two issues?

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=9946

Unknown said...

I guess someone else saw their vision and made black dynamite...

DMC said...

I have the first issue from the 90's. Back then CT had a different costume, they have updated him quite a bit. the book is 8.5 x 11 in b&w with a color cover. Let me know if ya'll want me to post a link to the cover, I can scan it.

DMC said...

Here are links to the old covers. one is from the book and the other is the fron and back of a booklet.

http://www.heedthecalling.com/images/chocolate_thunder_book.jpg

http://www.heedthecalling.com/images/chocolate_thunder_booklet.jpg

enjoy!